Azienda Agricola Zichichi – Sicilian Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
Halfway between the slopes of the rolling Ericine hills, and the ruins of the splendid Segesta, stands the Zichichi Agricultural Company.
The Zichichi family, owner of the company since the second half of the 1800s, has always reserved the cultivation of the olive tree, a place of absolute importance, aiming for excellence in cultivation systems and in the quality of the final product.
For several years our oil has obtained the protected designation of origin (PDO) and production takes place according to the rules of organic farming.
LAND AND VARIETY
The olive groves – with more than 2000 plants of which around 1000 secular and others with an average age of about 25 years, of Cerasuola and Nocellara del Belice (90%) and Biancolilla (10%) – are located in the territory of Erice , at an average of 150 meters above sea level. The area is hilly, with about 10% slope, mild climate and calcareous soil. La Cerasuola offers fragrances that remain over time, the Nocellara del Belice aromaticity, the Biancolilla sweet taste and fresh sensations. The result of these three varieties, characteristic of Sicily, is an oil that has a grassy nose to the nose followed by notes of green tomato and balsamic scents. In the mouth the soft dough matches the bitter and the persistent spicy.
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
Extra virgin olive oil is the fundamental component of the Mediterranean diet and has healthy virtues recognized by the international scientific community.
The cultivation of the olive tree in Western Sicily originates since the VI century BC. first with the Phoenicians and subsequently developed with the Greeks. Our company is located on the gentle hills of Agro Ericino, where for more than four generations we have cultivated two thousand centuries-old olive trees that give an oil with an unmistakable aroma and taste.
The peasant wisdom and the pursuit of quality have allowed us to obtain the Protected Designation of Origin.
The oil is obtained from olive groves of Cerasuola and Nocellara del Belice, for 90%, and Biancolilla for the remaining 10%. The olives, harvested by hand between October and November, are immediately transported in crusher in aerated boxes and immediately after ground.
Our oil is controlled by the Chamber of Commerce of Trapani after testing and analysis carried out by the Chemical Laboratory of Customs Agencies.
CONSERVATION AND PACKAGING
FILTERED ORGANIC DOP: The oil must is immediately filtered and stored in stainless steel containers under nitrogen which prevents oxygenation, in the controlled temperature warehouse adjacent to the mill.
UNFILTERED DOP: The unfiltered oil is stored in stainless steel containers under nitrogen which prevents oxygenation, in the controlled temperature warehouse adjacent to the mill; in March it is decanted into other containers to separate it from the solid residue – the sludge – that is deposited on the bottom. The extra virgin olive oil is then ready to be bottled in dark glass.
WE ARE A SICILIAN COMPANY INSERTED IN THE GUIDE FOR EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL SLOW FOOD 2020